Friday, February 11, 2005

Genealogy...What's fun about Leviticus?

My mom is also a genealogy nut. I think that her interest in genealogy stems from the fact that our family background is so newly American, yet, we know very little about when or why the journey from Norway took place. My mom has traced her family roots back to the 16th century but hasn't had time to do the Newman side yet. Although it seems like a goofy thing to spend, literally, days in a library or church pouring over documents, when the searching is for information about your own ancestors there is a level of excitement and fun in it. My family genealogy is truly MY story in a context that is much more comprehensible than saying that the Bible and all of time is also my story. To have names and places and dates attached to that history adds a dimension of reality to the story of my family. Besides, my mom doesn't use the "begat"s in her rendition of the family history. :O)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home