Saturday, February 19, 2005

Flyting

We talked about Flyting a long time ago but I was just reading Courtney's journal which included the EXCELLENT scene with Peter (aka Robin Wiliams) and Rufio. Great example!

I remember in high school that my teacher gave us an assignment to "flyt" with each other using only Shakespearean insults. It was really fun! There was one that I'm not sure if she made up or if it's from a play, but you tell someone that he has "hirsute, pediculous, clarty oxters". Figure out what that means. :O)

Here are some more of Shakespeare's insults from http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Shaker/index.html? Visit here from more great flyting lines.

*Thou errant folly-fallen whey-face!
*Thou caluminous beetle-headed nut-hook!
*Thou art not so big as a round little worm
*Thou puking unchin-snouted malcontent!
*Show your sheep-biting face, and be hanged an hour!
*O lilliterate loiterer!
*Hence, horrible villain, or I'll spurn thine eyes like balls before me; I'll unhair thy head, Thou shalt be whipp'd with wire, and stew'd'in brine, smarting in lingering pickle.
*Thou goatish beetle-headed harpy!
*Thou bawdy swag-bellied death-token!
*Thou art a very ragged wart.

Good stuff, eh? I think that Shakespeare's insults could rank right up there with the best of them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha that's funny..
i came acroos another one
"i am not obliged to please thee with my answers"
it almost feels like im taking the class with you!

-random person from across the world-

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home