Friday, September 24, 2004

How my life is displaced myth

How IS my life displaced myth? The story of Michelle's day began so perfectly..."After three days with no newspaper, something had to be done..." I simply don't know where to begin with my story. I was a happy accident for my parents who, unlike most of our fairy tale moms and dads, had not wished and hoped for a child at the time I was conceived. I guess puts me out of the running for "Sleeping Beauty" and " Rapunzel." I am though, the eldest of three sisters who look a lot alike but are all very different. This is beginning to sound familiar...kind of like the stories within the motif "The Art of Good Conduct." In Lheritier's story The Discreet Princess; or, The Adventures of Finette there are three sisters who are very different: Nonchalante, Babbler, and Finette. In this story, the eldest is kind of an airhead. She doesn't care about anything and she's lazy. Now, in real life (whatever that means), most oldest siblings are the least lazy and nonchalant. I'm a classic type A person. Why is the youngest always the virtuous one who gets the prince?

Anyway, aside from the sisters...maybe I'm just at the beginning of my tale. I suppose that I should be patient and let life happen. I'm just waiting for a rabbit with a waistcoat and watch to hop across my path, or for a water genie to wake me in the middle of the night. I am waiting for a fissure to open in my world and when it does, I'll take the journey it offers me.

As for group 3's motifs...I like them! I think that the "Bloodthirsty Husbands" was my favorite, though I'm not sure why. I think I liked those partially because the woman had to think her way out of her situation. The women were also pretty dumb though. All these people in fairy tales are dumb. My advice, if someone tells you that he is going to kill you if you look in his closet, don't do it. Just don't. If he doesn't want you to see what's there then it's either really good or REALLY bad. "Curiosity killed the cat" and these ladies obviously don't know that.

The motif of "Incestuous Fathers" was quite interesting to read also because the stories, surprisingly for me, were the story of Cinderella. I was not expecting that. Now, let me just admit now that prior to this course, most of my exposure to "fairy tale" was form Disney...that said, you can see how I would feel confused by Cinderella being put in with stories about incestuous dads. Dad and mom were dead in Disney's version. Now, as close as these tales come to the story of Cinderella, the tale is also fully represented in the motif "The Revenge and Reward of Neglected Daughters." That such a canonical tale can be seen so prominently in more than one (and likely more than two or three) motifs is quite interesting. It definitely shows the interconnectedness of the tales and their evolution over time.

It's late and I have to work in the morning...cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home