Thursday, September 09, 2004

What's the use of stories that aren't even true?

Haroun's question is a good one. What is the use? More than once in Lit Crit (many many months ago) Dr. Beehler asked us all to ponder the use of studying literature. I think that any answers to that question would apply to Haroun's as well. From what I ca remember of the answers my classmates gave, some expressed that literature helps them learn about new places, new people, and new ideas. Others said that they are able to learn about themselves by reading stories. Still others enjoy the cognitive challenge that analysis of literature gives them. All of these are really great answers to a tough question. The reason that I initially pick-up and eventually purchase a book is because I think that it will entertain me on some level. I like books with adventure, books that make me think, and books that touch me in some way. If I feel like crying, I pick up a Nicholas Sparks novel. When I want to laugh, political literature does the trick.

So, I guess that entertainment is a big reason for me to read stories, but at the same time, I learn from what I read, and I feel like some literature really does "take me away." When I read Harry Potter books, I am engrossed. Completely. Don't talk to me...I'm busy. Those are kinds of "untrue" stories that I think are most popular because they have an effect on their readers. Fiction stories provide us with adventures that we could not otherwise embark on while also showing us some of the most important universal themes to humanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home