Monday, January 24, 2005

Annoying???? Me??

So, I asked my mom about what word I annoyed her with as a child. Either she's a good liar or I was "never annyoing," as she told me. What can I say? I was an angel. I do know, however, that my first word was "Wow" and, because I know a few kids just now discovering language, I know that even cute little words can become irritating. My cousin Laurelin (those of you in the Tolkien class will recognize her name from The Silmarillion) LOVES the movie "Finding Nemo" and can say three words well, "NO!" "K" (as in Okay), and "Momo" (for Nemo). She said "No!!!!" all the time which was frustrating because genreally crying went along with that, and she answered everything with "K!" Often, a conversation went thus: me --"What are you doing Laurelin?" her--"Momo??? K???" As cute as that is, it got slightly old, especially after every adult in the family began to imitate her.

At work the other day there was an infant sitting in one of those Kangaroo pouches just babbling away for about 15 minutes. Know that I know the correct term for this...echolalia...and can understand that babies just love the sound and the feeling of sound I understand why they do it for so long and soo often. The aby was just content as he could have been making senseless (or IS it senseless????) noise. It was exciting to see echolalia at work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home