Monday, November 08, 2004

Goody Two Shoes Rocks!

I just thought I'd comment briefly on our discussion of Little Goody Two Shoes" from last week's classes with Dr. L Sexson.

I'm glad that I now know the story behind the name because the story and the connotations of "Good Two Shoes" are quite different. She was actually perceived as a subversive character while her name really, for us, means a little teacher's pet type of kid. But her name screams sugar... "Margery Meanwell". Oh goodness. I loved the connections that Dr. L Sexson drew with Nature, child, and book because they were the same that she drew on Tuesday with the Bible. I love connections. It's interesting though that Margery's involvement with children, her compassion to animals, and her teaching of reading would constitute her as a witch. That seems unfounded and drastic. But as Dr. Sexson suggested, independence in women was always viewed with fear and suspicion.

I love the idea of the considering cap. I really think that we should get those and make the candidates use them in elections. She's brilliant.

Then ending was good, too. I had totally forgotten about the brother until the wedding and I was quite excited to see them reunited and her childhood and memories restored to her. If she had just gotten married, I don't think she would have retained the same level of kinship with children. Her brother keeps from getting too far away from her inner child.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home